Intralinks to Present the Effects of Due Diligence on M&A Deal Success at Mergermarket Forums
'Do your due diligence’ has never been more relevant in the M&A process than today - especially with the surge of multi-million and billion dollar deals.
10 March 2014
By James George
While navigating through the M&A dealmaking process, the phrase ‘do your due diligence’ has never been more relevant than today - especially with the surge of multi-million and billion dollar deals. But is there a correlation between due diligence and deal success? The answer is a resounding yes.
Last year Intralinks released research revealing that longer due diligence in M&A is linked to a significant increase in deal success for acquirers, but lower takeover premiums for sellers. The study, conducted in association with the M&A Research Centre (MARC) at Cass Business School, City University London in late 2013, evaluates this relationship for acquirers and sellers, respectively, while also examining the differences between public and private company targets and the causes and consequences of deal leaks.
Key findings of the study include:
- Longer due diligence results in a higher likelihood of deal success
- Longer due diligence is to the advantage of the buyer (and to the disadvantage of the seller)
- Due diligence is done more quickly on public companies
- Due diligence is done more quickly on larger targets
- Most M&A leaks are likely to be intentional
Intralinks’ Vice President of Strategy and Product Marketing Philip Whitchelo, will present the findings of the recent Cass study on the effects of due diligence on M&A deal success at several upcoming Mergermarket M&A and Private Equity Forums across the European region. These events include:
- The 5th Annual Mergermarket German M&A and Private Equity Forum // March 12th, 2014 – Dusseldorf, Germany
- The 7th Annual Mergermarket Nordic M&A and Private Equity Forum // March 19th, 2014 – Stockholm, Sweden
- The 4th Annual Mergermarket European M&A and Private Equity Forum // June 5th, 2014 – London, UK
In addition to discussing key findings from the research, Philip will also address key industry questions, such as:
- What are the market prospects over the next 12 months?
- Where do firms see a strong rebound this year in M&A?
- What are the changes to financing strategies for mid-market deals?
If you plan to attend one of Mergermarket’s M&A and Private Equity Forums in Europe, please stop by to hear Philip’s presentation or join Philip and the rest of the Intralinks team at our booth. With dozens of industry experts from M&A and private equity communities across the region, the forums provide a fantastic opportunity for professionals to meet, network and discuss the major drivers of European M&A activity.
We look forward to seeing you!
For intuitive discussions and key findings from the research, download the Cass Research Report: When No One Knows paper.