Intralinks Secures the Formula Hybrid Track
Earlier this year, we announced that Formula Hybrid selected Intralinks VIA® for their secure collaboration needs.
13 May 2015
Since 2006, the Formula Hybrid competition, part of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Collegiate Design Series, has been known as one of the most complex design and engineering competitions for undergraduate and graduate university students. This year, 400 students from 24 international college and university teams from across the United States and Canada, Turkey, and India, competed in the event to design and build an electric or hybrid race car and put it to the test from April 27-30, 2015 on the New Hampshire Speedway track in Loudon, New Hampshire, USA.
Earlier this year, we announced that Formula Hybrid selected Intralinks VIA® for its secure collaboration needs. By using Intralinks VIA, sponsors, university teams, and volunteers could access and share critical information pertaining to the competition securely and with complete control (such as rules, electrical inspection progress, and student resumes). “As a design competition for engineering students, we needed a secure way for our sponsors to share information with participants without risking the privacy of their information,” said Amy Keeler, Coordinating Manager, Formula Hybrid. “With more than 200 universities involved in potential entries, having a secure way to collaborate was critical. Intralinks VIA is safe, easy to use, and was ready to use immediately.”
Global automotive and engineering companies sponsor Formula Hybrid due to the incomparable hands-on mechanical, electrical, and computer-engineering learning experience students gain from engineering a formula car. The event is also a great source of new talent as several of the sponsors actively interview and recruit students during the competition. Intralinks was proud to participate in the Formula Hybrid 2015 competition as a sponsor alongside GM, Ford, Fiat Chrysler Automotive (FCA), Toyota, IEEE, and the Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth. A team of Intralinks volunteers helped to inspect and judge the students’ innovative designs.
2015 Formula Hybrid Awards
It was a packed four days, consisting of electrical inspection, mechanical inspection, and design and presentation events, culminating in on-track autocross and endurance events. At the end of the week, the winners were announced during the awards ceremony.
Congratulations to the University of Waterloo and Tufts University who placed first in the Hybrid and Electrical categories, respectively.
- Hybrid Category
- 1st place — University of Waterloo
- 2nd place — McMaster University
- 3rd place — University of Victoria
- 4th place — Milwaukee School of Engineering
- 5th place — University of Idaho
- 6th place — University of Michigan — Ann Arbor
- Electric Category
- 1st place — Tufts University
- 2nd place — Carnegie Mellon University
- 3rd place — Georgia Institute of Technology
- 4th place — University of Illinois — Urbana Champaign
- 5th place — Binghamton University
- 6th place — Illinois Institute of Technology
2015 Sponsored Awards
Separate from the Formula Hybrid awards, the platinum sponsors each presented awards to recognize the accomplishments of specific teams.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobile Awards
- FCA Innovation Award — Illinois Institute of Technology
- FCA Industrial Design Award — Atilim University
- FCA Gracious Professionalism Award — University of Victoria
- General Motors Best-Engineered Hybrid System Award
- 1st place — McMaster University
- 2nd place — University of Vermont
- 3rd place — Illinois Institute of Technology
- IEEE Engineering the Future Award and Excellence in EV Engineering Award
- Engineering the Future — McMaster University
- Excellence in EV Engineering — Carnegie Mellon University
For a complete list of awards and descriptions, check out Formula Hybrid’s award page.
Congratulations to all of the winners, finalists, and participants for their extraordinary achievements and hard work throughout the course of the competition! It was a pleasure participating in and sponsoring the event. For photos of the event, check out Intralinks' album on Facebook.
Mike Chapman is the ISM Program Manager for Intralinks VIA. He has broad industry experience in the communications and collaboration space with deep expertise in software product and program management. In his previous role at VBrick Systems, Mike was the Director of Product Management for the products that delivered streaming video to the desktop through Microsoft’s Lync and SharePoint products. Mike has been a judge and supporter of Formula Hybrid since the competition started in 2006.