Intralinks IRM by design™: Lifetime Content Control
Information Rights Management (IRM) helps secure the enterprise. Intralinks IRM by design™ protects sensitive information no matter how it's shared.
27 October 2014
The way people do business has changed considerably over the years.
Employees once primarily worked from their office computers, or on shared drives. They provided external parties only with limited access to their information — data that was embedded in their company’s own applications. Access was granted to these third parties only when necessary. The firewall protected the enterprise perimeter and kept information within the company secure.
Now, most information lives outside of the company perimeter, on multiple devices and in storage repositories. Information and services are being accessed and shared in the cloud — in many cases without the proper security and controls in place.
Traditional firewalls and VPNs offer little protection against external threats, vulnerabilities, and human error (the three most common causes of data loss says a Ponemon Institute and IBM study).
As our infographic above illustrates, there were over 91 million records lost through identified data breaches in 2013, claims a report by IDTheftCenter.
Information Rights Management — beyond the Firewall
Just as the times have changed, so has the way information is protected. The enterprise needs to maintain complete control over its content, regardless of where it resides or travels. Luckily, there is also stronger protection available to the enterprise — through Information Rights Management (IRM).
Intralinks IRM by design™ protects sensitive information — no matter how, where or with whom it is shared. It does this by encrypting the document itself. Each document has a unique encryption key, and asymmetric cryptography is used in the distribution of the key to each user.
In this way, once they are authenticated, users who attempt to open a document will be sent the decryption key over a secured transport channel. Even if there is a leak in the network perimeter — or if an employee accidentally shares content with the wrong person — the encrypted file always remains protected.
Intralinks IRM provides:
- Lifetime file-level protection: Security persists throughout the lifecycle of the document, whether at rest, in transit, or in-use — regardless of location or device.
- Plug-in free security: Innovative technology leverages native security capabilities to provide a seamless experience for content creators and collaborators — no need for third party software or downloads.
- Dynamic Policy Management: Individual rights and permissions may be updated and revoked — even after a file has been downloaded. Even remotely.
- Ultra-precise document controls: The technology manages the protection of PDFs and Microsoft Office files, using explicit individual permissions, such as view, edit, save, and print.
- Full audit trail: The Intralinks platform maintains a complete audit trail of all files and user interactions, aiding organizations in regulatory compliance.
With IRM, organizations get complete, end-to-end control of their information — without hindering their workflows or productivity. This means that today’s extended enterprise has a secure solution that reflects the current business productivity and collaboration demands.
Share this Image On Your Site
Meagan Parrish is the Senior Manager of Social Media at Intralinks. She is responsible for social media strategy development and the communications for Intralinks' online communities. Meagan has been creating social media strategies for a variety of companies across verticals for the past several years. She holds Bachelor degrees in Marketing and Finance, with a minor in English Literature.